- 13 February 2007
- Risk Impact:
- File Names:
- Systems Affected:
Spyware.Acext is a spyware program that contacts a predefined server for tracking purposes.
Your Symantec antivirus program detects Spyware.Acext.
This program must be manually installed or may be installed when installing another third-party program.
Antivirus Protection Dates
- Initial Rapid Release version 02 October 2014 revision 022
- Latest Rapid Release version 01 February 2015 revision 020
- Initial Daily Certified version 03 January 2004
- Latest Daily Certified version 26 January 2015 revision 023
- Initial Weekly Certified release date 07 January 2004
Click here for a more detailed description of Rapid Release and Daily Certified virus definitions.
When Spyware.Acext is executed, it performs the following actions:
- Installs itself to %Windir%\ie_32.exe, by default.
Note: %Windir% is a variable. The program locates the Windows installation folder (by default, this is C:\Windows or C:\Winnt) and copies itself to that location.
- Adds the value:
to the registry key:
so that the program runs when you start Windows.
- Periodically contacts the Web site, www.autoraskrutka.ru, for tracking purposes.
The following instructions pertain to all Symantec antivirus products that support Security Risk detection.
- Update the virus definitions.
- Do one of the following:
- Windows 95/98/Me: Restart the computer in Safe mode.
- Windows NT/2000/XP: End the malicious process.
- Run a full system scan and delete all the files detected as Spyware.Acext.
- Reverse the changes made to the registry.
1. Updating the definitions
To obtain the most recent definitions, start your Symantec program and run LiveUpdate.
2. Restarting the computer in Safe mode or ending the malicious process
- Windows 95/98/Me
Shut down the computer and turn off the power. Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode. For instructions, read the document, "How to start the computer in Safe Mode."
To end the malicious process:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete once.
- Click Task Manager.
- Click the Processes tab.
- Double-click the Image Name column header to alphabetically sort the processes.
- Scroll through the list and look for ie_32.exe.
- If you find the file, click it, and then click End Process.
- Exit the Task Manager.
- Start your Symantec antivirus program and run a full system scan..
- If any files are detected as Spyware.Acext, click Delete.
Note: If your Symantec antivirus product reports that it cannot delete a detected file, write down the path and file name. Then use Windows Explorer to locate and delete the file.
WARNING: Symantec strongly recommends that you back up the registry before making any changes to it. Incorrect changes to the registry can result in permanent data loss or corrupted files. Modify the specified keys only. Read the document, "How to make a backup of the Windows registry ," for instructions.
- Click Start, and then click Run. (The Run dialog box appears.)
- Type regedit
Then click OK. (The Registry Editor opens.)
- Navigate to the key:
- In the right pane, delete the value:
- Exit the Registry Editor.